Saturday, May 17, 2014

Teri's Column: THIS IS MY TECFIDERA STORY! I TRIED REBIF & AVONEX AND QUIT BOTH BECAUSE OF THE NEEDLES & SIDE AFFECTS


Teri Jentzen
Columnist
MSnewsChannel.com
I am doing well. I have been on Tecfidera since mid July and find it much better for me personally than the Avonex and Rebif that I was on because: I HATE NEEDLES! IHATE FLU SYMPTOMS

I was diagnosed in July 2007 while my DH(Dear Husband) was on a remote tour overseas. I had optic neuritis(sp). I was first put on Rebif which made me feel like I was getting over the flu three days a week, when I felt better it was time for the next shot. Then Avonex which was at least only once a week but still made me feel awful and I HATED the needle

I did not properly take either of these and developed a big aversion to needles. I started Tecfidera in July this year and have been very fortunate in not having any of the bad side effects. I have not seen a change in any of my symptoms from it but I'm hoping that since I am taking it by the book(I have only forgotten 2 doses) it will slow down my progression.

I am relapsing remitting but at my last neuro appointment she said that I have had some "silent" relapses. Yay they are silent but sometimes I wish they
weren't so they could be treated at the time of the relapse. Since diagnoses it has gotten to the point I had to quit working and apply for disability.  approved within 4 months which surprised me very much. I now have to use a cane everywhere but in the house where I can grab things.

I am still walking though and very thankful for that and will keep fighting to keep walking. Fatigue is an issue but I have started taking B12 and D3 this last week and I think it may be helping a little.

My neuro and primary care doctor always ask me if I suffer from depression but I don't. I get angry at what the MS has taken from me but I try not to throw myself a pity party. MS has made me less judgmental because I realize now that there are many Invisible Disabilities and just because you think "That person is fine they are just lazy" does not mean it is true. Well I have meandered on enough, thank you for letting me join.