Friday, May 16, 2014

I started Tecfidera (BG-12) again on Saturday-. I say again because I started it the beginning of last month and had an allergic reaction when I went up to the higher dose...

Jeannine Everet, Tecfidera Editor, MSnewsChannel.com
 ... a week after taking the lower dose for a week (that is how it works, take the 120mg for a week and then jump to the 240mg after that). Since I could not take Benadryl I had to stop.  My neurologist is now having me take the lower dose for 1 month before I step up to the higher dose.  I have said I hate medications and still do but I have heard so many good things about this drug if you can get through the side effects.  It is a drug not like the other drugs that are on the market for MS.  It works a lot like vitamin D where it tries to protect your immune system.  I have heard many people say after 3 month they feel so good so I accepted.  I am getting new
symptoms and am now progressing in my illness.I had stomach cramps unlike anything I had every known.  I was taking Pepcid Complete (used it with my dog in small doses when she has problems and I had it anyway) and it didn’t even touch the pain I was feeling.

After calling my doctor he had me take the original red Pepcid pills that work wonderfully.  I have to take them with my pills at breakfast and dinner and believe me they are never forgotten.  I also experienced burning on my skin when I went outside with my dog.  This was not normal burning, it was extreme like I was going to burst into flames.  I was told not to go outside, really?  Anyway, the driving thing was out too since if the sun touched my skin in the car it happened as well.  I hope this symptom disappears soon.  I have heard you can have nausea and diarrhea and I think I have not gotten to that yet and might be with the higher dose but I know I have double fatigue now.  When I go to the higher dose in a month I was instructed to take Allegra to help with the extreme itching I was experiencing as well. I have heard that a lot of people are taking a baby aspirin every day to help, help what?  So it is not taken until I know what it would help. Lol.

Did I mention bloating?  I look like I am 5 month pregnant. And my stomach is so sore and I can’t wait until this is all over.  I have heard it takes about 2 to 3 months for these side effects to end.  So I will let you know how everything works out.  I just rub my tummy every time I don’t feel well knowing  that your immune system starts in your stomach and maybe that is why you have so many issues there; the drug is working.  I am still mad that I have to take medication to take medication, thus spending more money since it is all over the counter except the cost of the Tecfidera which is being supplied to me for free until December but I have already been there so until then…

Carry on.